Reply To: Guns and sexual offenders: strange bedfellows?

Terry

OK, let me make sure I understand here; this guy finished his bit on the registry, traveled to Florida and now they want to re-register him? How can they do that? That’s crazy. I travel all over the US and have NEVER had an issue with travel and have NEVER been told to register in the State I visited and I have been pulled over for speeding on a few occasions in various states. The laws in each state are easily found regarding how long you can be in the state before you have to register. All you have to do is call the State Police Station in that state or look it up on their website. Most, with the exception of a few, require you to register if you are in the state for more than 14 days or 30 days over the course of a year. If you are not trying to slide by the law and just passing through no one cares. If you are on vacation you can see that is would not be difficult to plan well and avoid the BS, however, if you are setting up a new home site and just forgot to let the state know about it, yeah, that could be a problem. I think some people complicate the uncomplicated. There seems to be more to the story that we have not been told and on the Gun issue, as far as I know, if you are a Sex Offender you are a Felon and can’t carry anyway.

Maybe someday soon these bright, well educated Law Makers will see that their “Knee Jerk” Laws are doing more damage than protecting anyone. Think about it, If you are required to live 1000 feet from a school and you live 1001 feet from that school does that 12″ protect anyone? That 12″ does not stop the criminal from being a criminal. I wonder if the folks in Washington ever asked that question.