Reply To: In denying Snyder petition, Supreme Court upholds Sixth Circuit ruling

ALAN

I have some guilt using this website because I simply do not have the money to support NARSOL. On July 23, 1987, I was in a motor vehicle accident leaving me permanently disabled, paralyzed from the mid-chest on down, I use wheelchairs and need specialized medical equipment for all my daily needs, plus specialized housing modifications and a handicapper van with a wheelchair lift, a special driver’s seat and hand controls. Plus help in my home.
My convicted offense was in late 1996, I spent 11 years in a proven non-handicapper Michigan prison system which despite numerous 8th Amendment lawsuits in State Courts and Federal courts never did meet my protected medical rights. I was prohibited from attending Michigan’s mandated so-called sex-offender rehabilitation class.
Upon my release from prison, I was granted a modified probation period where I was required to attend sex-offender classes many miles from my home, which required my father in his 80’s to drive me there in his car (as I did not have another van yet), and those classes did nothing to further anyone’s rehabilitation as we mostly discussed the director’s car problems and political issues unrelated to the class’ proposed purpose.
It took 10 years to find a home for me to reside in due to the Federal and State laws which left me ineligible for group homes, retirement centers and all subsidized housing, and the laws forbidding living near daycares, schools, etc. Then there were the burdens of finding a home which could be remodeled for my medical needs. I had to settle for a mobile home which is in an upscale park and 98 percent of my neighbors are elderly.
The State and Federal laws make no exceptions for disability needs in housing, in fact, they trump all Disability laws!
Further, I am prohibited from all leisure activities, including but not limited to: Attending church activities, community park activities, school activities, camping, boating, festivals, bazaars, social media participation, which leaves me sitting in my wheelchair in my home watching TV.
While I fully comprehend and sympathize with everyone else’s SORA limitations, I am further burdened with limitations due to my disability and by not having the ADA (American’s With Disabilities Act) apply to me in over 90 percent of my life due to the SORA laws.
Churches claim they cannot allow SO participation due to the presence of children. I was denied a State Park permit for camping and other activities held therein. The cities of Lansing, Grand Ledge, Charlotte, etc., and Ingham and Eaton Counties bar park admittance which includes all special events although participation does not qualify as “loitering”. County fairs are held on grounds which met “park” qualifications; boat launches are often in “park” areas. Even trails and river walks which I could otherwise roll on in my various wheelchairs are not open for me!
Even the recent flooding around the State which have created State, local and Red Cross resource and housing for flood victims prohibit sex-offenders. All natural disasters result in severe hardships with no exceptions for those who are poor need them. So unless you are wealthy and can afford private lake or other outing opportunities, all free public choices are off-limits. I have far fewer choices in activities compared to able-bodied sex-offenders.
These things and more are included in the retroactive application of SORA laws here in Michigan, besides all of the overwhelming statistical support which prove SORA laws provide no real protection to society at large, and which do harm registrants, their families, and friends. As applied to me specifically, they result in my becoming a shut-in, cause PTSD, and severe depression, to say nothing of the stigma attached to having my name, address, and photo plastered all over the internet. These injuries cost the US citizens great amounts of money to “treat” me, with no real relief /resolve to me.
I have seen NO actions being taken or discussions to relieve my sufferings. Even current legislative actions will not address the real conflict between SORA laws (and any changes to them given the ex-post-facto rulings) and the disability laws here in America.