Reply To: Sex offenders — decision needed

SW

The goal of society is to keep SO’s powerless, poor, and disenfranchised. The myth continues that by keeping a person in a precarious state he or she will kept too busy trying to survive rather than committing another crime.

The few advocates that exist are verbally attacked and marginalized themselves.

I agree, lawsuits are likely the only answer to affect change. I call and write state representatives and human rights activists to the point that they know me by voice. It seems like a dead-end. I’d much rather be able to afford to help in the legal fight. If not for my parent, I would be homeless and have no access to the internet, which is what many of us are in the same situation. I’m one step away from being “just another homeless, disabled, veteran who is also an SO”. Many of us live in fear of being sent to jail (for any reason), so we keep our mouths shut.

I commend those who have the mental strength and financial means to offer measurable support. However, ripping on those of us who for various reasons have little to give will get us nowhere. We DO NOT need to be like crabs in a bucket. Attacking one another is just that.