Reply To: Former sex offender can remain as town’s fire chief

Sandy Rozek
Sandy Rozek
Admin

Stay on topic, please. Day cares have not been mentioned. Thanks for your advice on research.

Jim, be sure you understand our position. We do not justify sexual crime. We do not justify any crime. I have already said that crime should be punished.

I am not negating your right to your opinion, and I apologize if I appeared to do that. Certainly you are entitled to your opinion, but you cannot express an opinion as a fact, e.g. there is a high rate of sexual offending in the firefighting field, without validation, and that is what I am asking you to do: validate.

You are correct that the consequence of having committed a crime will often have a lifelong effect. But a lifelong effect that results in law-abiding citizens with a crime in their past being LEGALLY, through LAWS, marginalized and prohibited from reclaiming full societal participation is wrong. This is what public registration does, and it is not forced upon murderers or non-sexual violent offenders but sexual offenders only. It is counter-productive. It gives no incentive to such a person to remain law-abiding. And it is counter-indicated by all research — which I do read a lot of, by the way — as making society safer.