Reply To: Soho Forum: Horowitz, Hamilton face off over sex offender registries

Citizen

Dr. Horowitz was accurate in her assertions, and her cool headed approach as well as her restraint from emotional grabs was what won her the debate in a group of educated people. Most people who have a an education often refrain from dramatics during a debate as it shows a lack for truth and solid knowledge of a subject. I assume Marci Hamilton expected to just throw out erroneous information and people would blindly believe her as they normally do.
Our real hurtle is presenting this knowledge and information to the vast uneducated masses that have nothing to base their assumptions on except for what the “experts in blue” tell them.
There is an issue of trust that we need to break through. That trust is sealed by law enforcement that knows too well that people react to the emotion that is presented when they have nothing else to rely on. This is why factual information backed up with credible theory and statistics is so important. And also, so important to present it to the vastly misinformed populations in this country. Dr. Horowitz was in her element during this debate. Ms. Hamilton was not. Take the debate to a town hall meeting, and I would guess the results would be quite different.
However, I am super ecstatic that things turned out the way they did. It shows me that at least there are some demographics that see and want truth. My ardent hope is to see the registry abolished along with all the other unconstitutional practices that this country embraces now.
I remember the days when I saw my country as a shining city on a hill. The reassurance that we stood on developed principals that benefit the good of all men. I remember the words of Benjamin Franklin “That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer” (his reference to the Blackstone doctrine), and I am shattered at how we as a country have failed to adhere to such advise.