Reply To: SCOTUS Denies to Hear Muniz

Rodney Ferrer

Hi everyone. I took a plea deal, not by my choice, in Alabama to 1st degree attempted sexual abuse. This charge is a misdemeanor and I spent 1 yr in the county jail. When I was released I went straight home to Florida where I was already on probation for a non-related case. I was told by Florida Probation that I was being transferred to the sex unit and I must register because of the Alabama case. I didn’t get probation in Alabama nor did the jail tell me I had to register in Alabama. I was sentenced in 2005 and released in 2006. In 2008, I moved to Pennsylvania where I’m from and did like I was told in Florida, I registered. That was 10 yrs ago on February 1st, 2018. I’m on the tier 2 here in PA. There isn’t an Att. Sex. Abuse law here in Pa.Meghans unit decided to put me in this tier and compared it to PA’s Sexual Abuse category. Meghans Law in Alabama is life on the registry. My court order says, 1yr in the county and a misdemeanor charge. I took the plea, didn’t know it would be a life sentence. Especially for an accusation of he said she said. My attorney told me to take the plea cause I didn’t stand a chance cause the jurors weren’t going to be fair due to me being hispanic with a Yankee accent so I took the plea. Biggest mistake of my life! I called PA’s Meghans Law Unit yesterday and was told that I will be reviewed. Not sure if that’s good news or not. I keep up on this blog and have read everyones comments. If anyone can help, It will be appreciated with any information that might help me. Thank you, Rodney Ferrer.