Reply To: Former sex offender can remain as town’s fire chief

Tammie Leigh Lawson

I would like to say Sex Offenders have many hard challenges in life with work and school and various other things. I live in a small town in Virginia and it’s been impossible for me to gain entry to any school system here Ive been turned down for jobs with very goid companies so Ive seen the negative results of the registery can have on a persons life. I continue to push forward with the schools even now I will never stop because to stop is failure for me. I been on a register for 15 years and I’m listed as a violent offender because the code I’m charged under warrants that label! I’m a mother or three grandmother of six. My charge was Indecent Liberties with a child by supervision or custodial relationship, it was my son who was 14 now 29 who committed a sexual act with an adult female and that sexual encounter was consensual between both parties. I didnt have custody of my son at that time my sister did and I was the one who reported the crime to police!!! Yep that right I reported my son was sneaking out of my sister’s home and leaving with this adult female and I end up on a VIOLENT SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION!!! HOW ABSURD!! I never touched a child nor was there ever any violence! My attorney never told me about the conditions of the plea agreement I took fearing the worse I took a plea even tho I told her repeated times I wanted a jury trial. I can’t believe what punishment I have faced since my registration process started it’s been mentally and physically tiring to fight an uphill battle but I have never lost hope!! I will continue to fight an proclaim my innocence in this fight! There are positive things we can do and I have seen that side as well even tho limited as it may be any positive outlooks I have encountered keep me thriving.