Reply To: Federal judge holds Colorado registry is punishment; violates Eighth Amendment

YouKnow

Recidivism rate for sex offenders originally was skewed big time. I have a lady friend who is a counselor for sex offenders through the probation or parole system, I asked her what the recidivism rate for sex offenders was. She stated as a general mean about 7 percent. Now, that is way different than what it used to be. I don’t know if the seven percent is correct or where she got her info from but she wouldn’t just be making it up. Her job kinda depends of people who offend sexually. I just thought I would put my two cents worth in cause if the system thinks these people are that big of a danger to the public, why are they not still in prison if that is the case? Other wise if they have done their time and did everything the judicial system required, what other felony requires people to register and jump through hoops still as well as pay a fee per year and renew their drivers license every year, list all cars or vehicles, e mail address, some states even require them to list where they work….now that is punishment and seriously who would hire anyone with that listed it could kill their business for no reason other than the registry associating the business with the offender with no real cause. You ask me it’s almost like the system doesn’t want the offenders to ever have a chance to make good on their crime, whatever it may be. If it is bad enough, they won’t ever get out of prison. So beit.