Reply To: SCOTUS Denies to Hear Muniz

Snoopy

Whomever you stick with I suggest to everyone in PA to call and / or write their State Senators TODAY… The non-public Judiciary meeting is TOMORROW, so PLEASE DO THIS TODAY…

Here is a link to help you find your PA State Senator:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/findyourlegislator/index.cfm

When I found my senator there was her phone number, and by her picture a picture of an envelope for her e-mail address – right click to copy the e-mail address.

Please feel free to tell your own story when you write to them, but here is a copy of what I wrote:

Dear Senator Boscola,
My name is ___. I am a sex offender with a conviction date of October 2010. When SORNA was passed in Dec. 2012 I was impacted. I originally had 10 years on the registry, with 1 x a year in person reporting. Now I have 25 years on the registry with 2 x a year in person reporting. I am someone who is due relief from the PA Supreme Court Muniz ruling.
There are lots of people who will argue that when the PA Supreme Court made their ruling in July 2017 that it completely destroyed the registry in Pennsylvania. They say this because when SORNA was originally made law – all other Megan’s Law were expired. Megan’s Law 1, 2, and 3 did not have a savings clause, they were expired. If HB 1952 is made into law and applied retroactively it will still be ex post facto. I appreciate that many items that were viewed as being punitive were taken out, but it is my understanding that if HB 1952 becomes law that you will now need to go before a judge using your own money to get off the registry because you need a judicial determination to be removed. When I was originally sentenced when my time on the registry was done I would have simply timed off and been removed automatically. Now, if you can’t afford a lawyer, you aren’t being removed from the registry – that in itself is a punitive ex post facto part of the bill.
Also, that 10 years, is really 11 because of a base year… Strange, when people count birthdays, anniversaries, or even time in jail it isn’t base year then start counting…
I know that I made mistakes in my life, and I have been punished for them – I just want to move forward with my life without being on the registry because I have lost jobs from people finding my name on the registry. As the PA Supreme Court said in their ruling, the state has an interest in the finality of sentencing and individuals have an interest in understanding the regulatory outcome of guilty pleas and criminal convictions. I do not know the legal processes that HB 1952 has to go thru in the senate to become law, however I do know that there is a non-public judiciary meeting scheduled for Tuesday January 30, 2018. I beg you to please consider all that I have told you and not help a bill move forward when it is very obviously illegal and unconstitutional.

Sincerely