Reply To: Once a sex offender always a sex offender — even beyond death?

Sandy Rozek
Sandy Rozek
Admin

Carmen, I am intrigued by what you have written and would like some clarification if you don’t. mind.

What do you mean by “assemble”? We assemble every year at our conference and have done so for nine years. Our tenth is in June in Ohio. Many state groups assemble, and not just for conferences or meetings. Some state groups go in large numbers to legislative hearings and procedures; their members speak and give testimony about the registry, restrictions, their conditions, etc. There have been protest groups in public places and before courthouses. I assure you, no one has been shot or even harassed, as far as I know, for doing any of these activities.

What do you mean by being exempt from legal ramifications due to race? I know of no instance where this has ever happened. People of all ethnicities are sued daily. No attorney would defend a suit against the Kankas, but it wouldn’t be because they are Caucasian. It would be because there are no grounds, at least none that I can think of, that could be the basis of a lawsuit.

I am very well aware that many on the registry have a very difficult time maintaining a decent standard of living, and that and the continuing escalation of laws that target those on the registry who have paid their debt to society and are not allowed to reenter society as accepted members are the very things NARSOL was formed to combat, and we are doing the best we can with the resources we have. However, to say that all registrants are doomed forever is not true. Many registrants have found success in all areas of life. They have found that refusing to be marginalized, by standing up and speaking out, and with determination and taking responsibility to make life better for themselves and their families that they have been able to do so.

I agree with you that power corrupts, but that has always been true and, I am relatively sure, will always be. However, it does not apply to everyone; many who have power manage it responsibly.

Please be careful with your religious references. That is a topic that we try to stay away from as much as possible, although we know that it is not always possible as for some people faith in God is what sustains them or, conversely, they see God as responsible for their plight. Please couch any reference to religion as your opinion. You cannot tell someone that there is no God. You can tell someone that you do not believe in the existence of God.

I am pleased you liked the piece, and NARSOL thanks you for your support or our mission and our site. A good rule to follow in writing comments is to try as much as possible to encourage or lift up those who are in the same conditions as you and your family. We have enough criticism and discouragement directed toward us by the rest of the world; we should be as supportive of each other as possible. Even when we disagree with what someone else has said, which is certainly acceptable, we can disagree with respect for the other person’s point of view.