Reply To: “Sex offense is the one crime that you can never pay for”

Dan O

Daniel,
I, as many other posters here, both sympathize and empathize with you. I have lost 2 careers and several jobs because of being on the registry.
First and foremost I am a christian and operate my life as best I can by biblical principles and I can tell you from personal experience, if you can’t yourself forgive, you will never find peace. That being said, forgiving another does not entail laying down and letting others trample you. God does expect you to care for and protect what He has entrusted you with and He is a defender of those who do it in the right frame of mind. I will be praying for you as well as those that hurt you that your life may go on as God would have it, and that their life will change for the betterment of all as well.
I took responsibility for my crime (and deeds of utter stupidity) in 1996. For the next 18 years my life floundered as careers and jobs came and went. I had the opportunity to preach for a small congregation in a little town part time some 50 miles from my home which turned into a life changing event. I have since taken the position as a full time minister with every member aware of my past. We bought a home in the town and feel very secure. 2 years ago I started a small engine business which has taken off beyond my wildest expectations. Most of the town knows about my past because one of our local dope dealers doesn’t like me and when he fond out he did his level best to ruin me but there is a verse in the bible that describes what actually happened
Isaiah 54:17 (ASV)
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of Jehovah, and their righteousness which is of me, saith Jehovah.
the worst response I got was “So what”.
This is almost embarrassing to admit but by the providence of God; The city chief of police is my next door neighbor and a friend. The county sheriff is one of my very best friends and I do trust him because among other things I baptized him this past summer and the city mayor is a regular customer of my business, all being aware of my past.
God can change things but he only helps those who help themselves so get and stay busy, and always remember
Philippians 4:13 (NKJV)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.