Reply To: “Sex offense is the one crime that you can never pay for”

Frank

This story is so sad, but so common. Even though I have been off paper for five years I still frequently attend the therapy group that was a required part of my probation requirements. I find it helps me focus on keeping myself in control. It also allows me a place where I can vend and express my frustrations since I have no one else to talk to. Over the years, I have seen more than a few RSOs fight a losing battle to get any kind of employment (let alone being able to earn decent wages). I see their frustrations and the hopelessness that they experience. It hits very close to home since I have worked at a dead-end, minimum wage since my release.

Due to my advanced age and poor health conditions I have very little chance of finding anything else. As long as I was able to make enough to pay rent and the few bills I have I was fine. Suddenly, my old boss (who was extremely understanding and the only friend I have) had to take medical leave. His replacement is extremely paranoid of me since I was so close to the former manager and is cutting my hours severely, trying to get me to quit. He has expressed to other employees that he doesn’t want one of “those kind of people” working for him. I am hanging on by my fingernails working 10-14 hours a week. The only way I can survive is by selling things at the local flea market. Unfortunately, sales are way down lately and I constantly find myself in financial trouble. I’ve even started to go to the local plasma bank to help make ends meet.

As has been said several times by other respondents, until the Registry is abolished there will never be a beginning to sex offenders being accepted into even the lowest level of society!