Reply To: NARSOL gears up to challenge Int’l Megan’s Law

Tyrus Young

I am pleased that NARSOL is continuing this fight regarding the IML. Their comments on the negative effects hit home. However, it should be noted that most of the regular countries we might travel to are tied into the DOJ database… their customs know within seconds if an entrant has a record. The sales jargon for the use of the passport identifier is misleading as the passport has far more use then just passing through customs, exposing SROs to far greater risk from those not “in the know”.

As another member commented above, the impact of the IML regulations mirror those found with immigration restrictions under the AWA. Virtually the same arguments can be made to challenge each of them. What the US is doing is unconstitutional for many reasons. But consider this…. my spouse was essentially deported after two failed family petitions. What is the connection of having been convicted of a crime against a minor and a spouse who is in their mid-60s (we had been married for 8 years by then… if there was any risk to her, it would have appeared long before their decision. So she was forced to return to her country. I was able to gain permission to visit the country, but am stuck in the US for business. The US government has denied us the free exercise of a BASIC Right… Marriage (recognized by the Supreme Court). But what is the purpose of implementing this law?

I have two choices…. live apart from my spouse except for occasional visits or move out of the US so we can be together. So … are they really deporting her, or are they trying to sneakily deport a US Citizen? There isn’t a viable risk to my spouse, nor to a foreign country I wish to visit. My risk is the discrimination, unconstitutional abuse, and dishonesty practiced by my own government.