Reply To: NARSOL gears up to challenge Int’l Megan’s Law

D.A.

I am glad to hear NARSOL is moving forward with a challenge to IML. I didn’t hear anything from NARSOL about a challenge for a long time and figured all hope was lost. As someone who is directly affected by the law living overseas there is a number of bad outcomes for me including being booted out of the country I live in and not being able to travel to other countries on vacation.

At the same time I’m not pinning all of my hopes on a challenge to the law. I’ve been working on getting a pardon from the governor of my state. Realistically I think that there is a higher chance of me being pardoned by my governor than IML being overturned.

I honestly don’t see any judge ruling favorably. Most of the judges are biased against those of us who have been convicted of a crime, especially sex offenses. In my opinion it matters very little to them (or lawmakers) that our rights are being violated by marking our passports (keep in mind the law passed both chambers on a voice vote and was signed into law by President Obama).

In terms of the timing of the challenge, the law went into effect on October 31st, 2017. That means that anyone who has a passport that expired beginning then will have it stamped. There is NO way to stop that now. I recently went on vacation and panicked before going at hearing the law was going into effect and could not find any information on when the passports were going to be revoked. I contacted my senator’s office who was able to have a staff member call and find out that the stamp will be put in effective the date your passport expires (thank god mine isn’t until 2021). An injunction is highly unlikely to occur at this point because some offenders will already have passports issued with the stamp.

I apologize at crapping all over the post, but I am pretty cynical about anything being done at this point.

David