Reply To: Tenth Circuit COA upholds Oklahoma driver’s license requirement

Diane

Why is it that a person has to prove why that law is a violation of their rights but the state doesn’t have to prove how it keeps anyone safe? I think it could be argued that the requirement is cruel & unusual punishment because it continues in effect even after the sentence is served & the person is no longer under supervision. It doesn’t appear that there is any remedy for being released from that requirement as long as the sex offender designation stands. Even if a person successfully petitions to be off the registry, they are still a convicted sex offender & would have to have their license or ID reflect that.

Louisiana has a similar law requiring sex offenders’ driver’s licenses to show the designation. How that keeps the public safe is a mystery to me. I have never asked to see licenses belonging to my neighbors, business associates, workmen or other people I encounter. The only times I get license info is when I’m taking a check from someone I don’t know (& that’s just to verify their identity with the check) or if there’s been a car accident.

It seems that the only thing that law does is to satisfy a need to further punish a person for their actions. That in itself should be a crime.