Reply To: NARSOL files amicus brief in premises case before Illinois Sup Ct

Tony From Long Island

Maestro. I am on parole. I am fully aware of what it (and probation) entails.

“It’s part of the sentence” does not require further explanation. It’s pretty self-explanatory.

Every one of my parole restrictions is negotiable. I have been able to do pretty much what I’ve wanted to do (within reason). I go to concerts. I go to sports games. I have joined a bowling league. I have a job with full access to a computer. . . .However, I am always fully cognizant that I am still under a sentence for crimes I was convicted of. After 12 years of incarceration, I had 6 years of parole – i.e. restricted freedom (14 months left). I am also, however, on the registry as a level 3 (the “most dangerous” level in New York).

I would guess that you don’t have such success just judging by the tone of your posts. I have dealt with dozens of people like you as a paralegal – people who have very good points to make but are unable to put aside their emotion when trying to make them. . . . .

I have also found that this is harder for people on probation to do since they usually have not done a long stretch of time with absolutely no freedom. . . . . .

I think the better approach for people in our situation is pick winnable battles. Baby steps. Working on how the registry affects people who are no longer under any sentence is a great example. It’s finally starting to come to fruition based on recent court decisions. . . . .

By the way, I don’t consider this an argument and I hope you don’t either – rather just a passionate back and forth. We are all on the same side here.