Reply To: The sex offender registry: a many-headed monster

Jenn

Amen and Amen. Beautifully and eloquently written Paul. How do we change it? It’s not just this issue that plagues the US. It is the politics of hysteria that abounds across this once great country affecting everything from RSOs being continually the cross-bearers of society to parents who lose a child in a terrible accident being portrayed as villains and arrested and charged for failure to place their child in a booster seat until they are 25. We have a sex offender president and powerful people in Hollywood who are sex offenders… but they have money and power and have escaped prosecution and restriction… and the country’s masses eat it up on every news magazine, TV show and on the internet. The reality show mentality of Americans today can’t get enough of other people’s misery… unless it’s true misery like the shootings in Vegas and Texas er al. Meanwhile those of us who can and want to do something to fight the outrageous RSO restrictions don’t… and why not? For myself it is because for some reason unknown to me, the state of California removed my registration requirement 3 years ago and I am currently enjoying a life free from that stigma. Most of my friends here along with my employer do not know of my conviction… don’t ask, don’t tell.. and so why would I bring the government down upon my head? I won’t. I still fear the IML passport mark and still am not truly free as there is always that chance that someone will “find out” and my life will come crashing down. I don’t attempt to travel with friends or my partner outside the US. I don’t pass out candy on Halloween and I can’t even consider moving out of California for retirement which means I will be working until I am 70 to afford to retire at all here. So I work and I pay my taxes and my house is dark on Halloween and I hide because, I lived it, it can be so much worse..