Reply To: In denying Snyder petition, Supreme Court upholds Sixth Circuit ruling

Joseph

Just to get this out there I’m replying to Robin’s comment.
In every petition (or complaint), there is a section at the end to state for the court the relief sought. It should be standard procedure to request the court to order that for each offender, the registry law that was in effect at the time of the commission of the offense will be the one to govern that offender.
If that were so and Georgia’s sex offender registry law, O.C.G.A. 42-1-12 were to be successfully challenged as punitive and ex post facto, (my crime commit date is/was 4/29/03) I would benefit as follows:
1.) I would have to be reclassified. I would no longer be a sexually dangerous predator since at the time I committed my offense, I would have to have committed a crime designated as a sexually violent offense AND demonstrate a depravity of mind or attitude that compels me to commit further sexual offenses.
2.) The maximum penalty for failure to register would be 3 years in the state penitentiary and a $100,000 fine.
3.) I would be off the registry, without having to do anything such as petition the court, in 10 years. And, the clock began running on the date that I was released from prison and placed on probation.

Since I have completed my entire sentence and am not on any form of court supervision, and as such have standing to sue, I offer myself as a plaintiff for any civil action that any attorney would care to file on behalf of sex offenders in Georgia, or nationwide as in the case of the International Megan’s Law.