Reply To: Vehicles, not predators, pose greatest threat to little monsters at Halloween

Kurt Martin

Sandy, Ron’s point is valid.
The headline of the article says “predators” but the body of it talks about “sex offenders” and “registered sex offenders.”
Since the article doesn’t cite any study which we could review to see exactly what type of persons have caused how many offenses against trick-or-treating kids, we don’t know if the allegation in the article is “cars are more of a threat than sexual predators in our society” or, instead, the allegation is “cars are more of a threat than persons on a sex offender registry.”

Without such clarity in the substance of the article, we readers (well, perhaps just the uninitiated readers who aren’t NARSOL advocates) will ASSUME that all these terms are interchangeable.
Sex offender = sexual predator = registered sex offender. All the same thing, right?

If they’re not all the same thing, then the term used in the article’s headline should match the ones used in the body of the article, and that one should match the actual study or meta-study analysis used to support the assertion in this article.

P.S. As a matter of science and statistics, let me observe that many, if not MOST, trick-or-treating kids would not come in close proximity to a registered sex offender EVEN IF such offenders were home on Halloween and allowed to answer the door if kids approached to beg for treats. There just isn’t that high of a percentage of such offenders living in our communities. In contract, pretty much EVERY kid that trick-or-treats in any neighborhood has some motor vehicles pass in close proximity to him or her.
Therefore, we would expect that cars cause a larger number of injuries than sex offenders cause new crimes as to those kids.
The question left unanswered by such a study would be if there’s MORE RISK in kids meeting a car in the road than meeting a sex offender at his door. One to one. One car, one sex offender. Or equal numbers. A million kid-car encounters and a million sex offender doorbell rings. Which had more bad things come from that interaction? I don’t know, and I doubt anybody else knows either, because no proper study has ever been done that I know of.