Reply To: Going home: Even sex offenders should be allowed to rejoin society

Sandy Rozek
Sandy Rozek
Admin

No, that would be vengeance. The point is that none of those things happen. Almost all in prison who have committed all types of crimes will be released, and it is in the best interest of all of us to do that which makes society safer. That is not accomplished by perpetuating a system that fosters hopelessness and homelessness.

I understand that you may have been hurt, either directly or indirectly, by sexual abuse, but you may not speak for everyone in your pronouncements, only for yourself. I know many former victims of child sexual abuse, and while it is true that the memories do not erase themselves from their minds, the majority of them choose to move past that time and that pain. That puts them, not their abuser, in control. Valid therapists and victim service providers focus on healing and recovery and often, when desired by all, family reunification and forgiveness. Former victims of all violent crime and situations, up to and including the holocaust, not only recover but also put it behind them.
The very worst crime? Would I rather my loved one have been murdered than inappropriately touched or even raped? Ask any parent that question. Ask yourself.
All evidence contradicts your opinion about rehabilitation, as does common sense: The overwhelming majority of one-time convicted individuals living in the community do not commit any more sexual offenses.
I know this is an emotional issue; it is for us also, but getting bogged down in emotional responses is why we are where we are now. It is time for laws and policies firmly grounded in facts and empirical evidence.