Reply To: KY: Federal judge strikes internet restrictions, online identifiers

Robin Vander Wall
Robin Vander Wall
Admin

I’m familiar with the history of the ban. But now the ban has become a part of the Facebook culture. And I’m afraid we face more internal resistance than external. We should be thankful that the Google/Alphabet bunch didn’t follow the same course. Blumenthal isn’t going to be our friend on this issue. This is not a left/right issue. This is real politic for both sides. This is what sells at the ballot box. And helping sex offenders create Facebook accounts does not sell at the ballot box. It doesn’t matter how liberal or conservative you are.

The focus needs to be on Facebook. They can change their policy. And now that Packingham is the wind behind us, Blumenthal’s threats ring hollow, because the states (and their AGs) no longer have the bluff to lay on the table. They can do nothing. Well, they can do something, but not very much. So, it’s sort of like trying to convince FB to roll the clock back to when they had the courage to say NO. Will they have that much courage now? I doubt it. They would be faced with a backlash from the public, at large….it would remain highly unpopular, even if legal. Facebook is all about looking pretty. They have dollars to account for now.