Reply To: PA’s high court rules retroactive SORNA violates constitution

Chuck

The US Constitution says here are the minimum rights given to US Citizens. The Pa Constitution says in addition to what the US Constution gives you, we also grant you these rights. The US Constitution sets the minimum standard. If states want to go beyond it, so be it but they must at least meet the minimum the US Constution sets out. I think it is amazing that the US Constution did not apply to defendants charged by the state until the 14th amendment.
I believe with every fiber of my being that Pa will not be able to overcome the Snyder vs Doe denial. That was SCOTUS chance to reaffirm 2003 Smith vs Doe and they refused to do so. 3 of the current justices were on the court when Smith vs Doe was decided.
I believe unless SCOTUS asks for the Solictor General’s opinion, we will have a denial by Spring. Which means, within 12 months from now they will have everyone removed.
I can’t wait to read Freed’s petition to see how he responded to Snyder vs Doe or if he even tried to. I know if I was on Mr. Muniz’s legal team, that denial would literally be the first thing out of my mouth.