Reply To: Colorado ruling sparks deeper debate over sex offender registries

Darrel Hoffman

Michigan’s SORA says that if a person distributes, utters, or publishes information of a known registrant, that person will face 93 days in jail and/or $1000 fine for each offense. However, it isn’t enforced and tMichigan State Police (MSP) said it only applied to juvenile offenders who were no longer on the registry. When the Legislature first passed the SORA, they included that provision because of the problems Oregon was having with people looking up sex offenders and driving them from their homes. The Legislature didn’t want that happening here, but it does. I had a “preacher” down load mine and distribute it throughout the congregation and my neighborhood, forcing me to leave the church. My neighbors, thank God, didn’t appreciate what the hypocrite did, but the damage was done. When my roommate and I checked out suing the guy over it ( for the law continues that civil damages can be sued for if such acts are done against a registrant), the MSP said we couldn’t do it for the previously stated reason. They said MAYBE we could sue for harrassment. Yeah right, in Michigan Courts? The good thing is that the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down most of the registry has unconstitutional punishment, which the Supreme Court just upheld. It has now caused a huge debate in Michigan about the worth of the registry. I look at that a the first nail in the registry’s coffin. There needs to be more until it’s dead and buried.