Reply To: Michigan files supplemental brief replying to solicitor general

Fred
Fred
Admin

Hello Ryan,
First of all, you didn’t mention your location, so if the Supreme Court does not take this case, the ruling will be applied to the states in the 6th Circuit, which are Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee and Kentucky. If you are within one of those states, it would mean that any registry laws enacted after your conviction can not be applied to you. I think the “report of employment” law was added in 2011 for Michigan, but I might be wrong. If I am correct, and you are in Michigan, then I believe that will have some affect on you. I sure hope so.
We hope the Supreme Court issues an order on this case Thursday. If they do not take it, and you are in the 6th Circuit, after everything settles down and the states acknowledge what changes they need to make, I would recommend you discuss your situation with an attorney to see if it will affect you and if you can end your probation immediately. On the other hand, I think it is possible the state may decide to end it on their own and will send you a letter explaining. We will all find out. I hope you will keep us posted on how it goes.