Reply To: Federal judge holds Colorado registry is punishment; violates Eighth Amendment

Jerry

I agree, Curtis!! May the Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless Justice Matsch!! I ask that we all please pray that majorities on state supreme courts and U.S. Supreme Court see that Justice Kennedy erred based on the faulty information in Psychology Today article that read that sex offenders have an 80% recidivism rate and that the Internet has now become more sophisticated than in 2003 and is the tool of vigilante sites like Homefacts.com that double the punishment on those of us on the registry.

The Internet age is way different than the age when a person who committed a crime and was convicted was on the radio news, maybe television news, and in the newspaper once, then forgotten unless someone went to look in the archives of old newspapers. The Internet is a constant reminder of past mistakes and has also become the tool of vigilante sites like Homefacts.com that are allowed to hide behind the 1st Amendment to keep all registry members just a click away.

The internet publication of the registry IS cruel and unusual punishment (8th Amendment), a violation of Privacy (4th Amendment), and a violation of due process rights (14th Amendment). All dissenting opinions (in the minority) have stated so since the late 1990s.

I just thank God that REASONABLE judges are now recognizing the damage the registry has done to registrants and family members while doing nothing to protect children from predators.

We aren’t there yet, but there are promising signs that this nightmare will soon be over!