Reply To: Federal judge holds Colorado registry is punishment; violates Eighth Amendment

Jeremy from Indiana

Hopefully I can clear up the confusion by posting the exact email that I sent to the domain registrar of a couple of third party websites (since that is what this refers to) that posts our information online. I copied this same text in my complaint to the FTC:

“The sites, indianasexoffenderslist.com and sexoffendersbystate.com are effectively consumer reporting agencies that are in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act as amended.

These sites specifically violate sections § 604(a), § 604(b) regarding permissible use of credit information (which includes criminal background checks) and consumer disclosure of such consumer reports.

By providing adverse information related to a person’s inclusion on the sex offender registry to anyone who searches a first and last name, they are specifically violating § 604(a)(3), § 604(b)(1)(b), and § 606(d)(3).

The Indiana website and most other state’s official websites for searching registered sex offenders satisfies these requirements, yet these third party websites do not.

Please take appropriate action. Thank you

This email will be archived for possible further legal action.”

The text of the FCRA can be found here: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/articles/pdf/pdf-0111-fair-credit-reporting-act.pdf