Reply To: Simple exposure brings lifetime of cruel and unusual treatment for disabled son, family

Lin

I know this woman’s pain. My grandson, whom I’ve had legal custody of since he was two, was and is in the same situation. The charge may be a little different (accosting), but the situation is the same. With him, it was a girl within a group of people from high school, but she was 14 and he was 19. A condom fell out of his pocket while he was with a group of high school kids and she asked what it was. He told her and then tried to jokingly say “Do you want to use it with me?”. People with cognitive/ low IQ’s will gravitate towards younger people as their maturity is better matched. Everyone of those kids could out wit him. He was always in special ed – none of them ever were. There is more to the scenario, but the bottom line is, he said something considered inappropriate to a minor and was charged with accosting.

His disability did not matter to the court or his own attorney, for that matter. He was ordered, as part of his probation, to attend group offender counseling. He had no idea what was being talked about or what was really expected of him and was kicked out of the group. Of course, they attempted to get him violating his probation. At least the judge finally showed some mercy and did not violate him. I give credit to his probation officer for the letter he sent to the judge for that.

He is to be on the registry for 25 years and I don’t know how he will make it. He cannot drive or even handle his own affairs. Prior to the charge, we had hoped to place him in an apartment ran by the county community mental health, which would oversee him and provide transportation, but that cannot happen because he’s “on the list”. He could no longer attend his group activities with others like him because there was a day care center next to the building where they met.

Now for the kicker, I thought maybe I would have the chance to oversee most of his time on the registry and make sure he’s timely on reporting along with all of the other rules, but I have been diagnosed with cancer and don’t know if I will make it the next five years. Per the doctors, my chances of survival are, at best, 17.2% for the next five years and even bleaker beyond that.

These laws have to change!