Reply To: Michigan files supplemental brief replying to solicitor general

#17639
Robin Vander Wall
Robin Vander Wall
Admin

Things are presently in a state of limbo pending the Supreme Court’s decision about whether or not to grant Michigan’s petition. Until then, nothing is going to move. If the Court grants cert, things will remain in limbo until the Court disposes of the case. If the Court denies cert, the case will return below (to the District Court where it all began) for that Judge to proceed in accordance with the Sixth Circuit’s ruling. I would expect that attorneys in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio would then make haste to assess the weaknesses of those states’ registration schemes in view of the Sixth Circuit’s ruling (I’m certain this is already occurring, but we’re hearing nothing about it).

If any of you live in a state within the Sixth Circuit’s jurisdiction, you might consider contacting your state’s ACLU to find out what is going on, if anything, to review and assess legal options consequent to the final outcome once we can be sure what it is. If you learn anything, please let us know!