Reply To: Georgia private probation companies expand sex offender industry

chris

I am a sex offender. I recently finished my 5 years probation. from my point of view it is all about money. I had to go to therapy, $45 a week out of pocket or through funding. And polygraphs, $325 a year and if you got funding from say CMU or medicare you had to go to one on one therapy, but only if you had funding, at $85 a week. If you were on probation for 20 years you did this for 20 years if you were on probation for 4 months you did this for 4 months, and then you were “successfully discharged” Okay how is 4 months vs 20 years considered successfully completing therapy? Okay here is another thing. The polygraphs don’t work. I myself lied about many things, nothing sex crime related, but still passed every one and so did many others in group who admit outside of group they lied on the polygraphs and passed or worse, failed a test on a question they were being truthful on only to have to make up a lie to explain why they failed or be “unsuccessfully discharged” and violate their probation. And that too is an issue. Therapy has been given too much power. They say it is a safe place to talk but if you admit to doing something against probation or therapy they discharge you and that violates your probation sending you to jail. So if there is an offender who is really trying to do well but has a slip up, they can’t talk to the very people who are “supposed” to be there to help them for fear of being sent back to jail so no help is given and further down the slope they go. So to me the ultimate question is does therapy work? If it does, then why further punish those who have successfully completed therapy by making them register? If it doesn’t work why make offenders go threw it and cost them or the public so much money! And who pays for the offender in jail? just money money money!!