Reply To: They’re killing sex offenders

George Schmidt

Concerning —-They’re Killing Sex Offenders—–

In more ways than one:–. My son KILLED HIMSELF in prison just 39 days ago (May 4th) because of the CRUEL and UNUSUAL punishment of 37 years! and a life time! of probation ! after release, handed down to him by a 5th district Louisiana judge. Did my son murder someone in cold blood? Did he rape an adult female? Did he rape a child? Did he rape several children? Maybe he kidnapped and raped a child for 10 years! NONE OF THE ABOVE. He was a FIRST TIME, internet only (NO HANDS ON), Was not a producer. NO prior arrests, COOPERATED FULLY upon arrest, admitted guilt, was sorry, asked for leniency (in his child-like manner — he had aspergers syndrome) . But no matter. The judge gave him 37 years + lifetime probation! If you don’t believe me, look up Benet G. Schmidt, sentenced in the 5th district of Louisiana (April 5, 2013). The DA recommended the MANDATORY of 20-24 years. (Even that is way too high.) So you see, the SYSTEM killed my son. Ben was in mental agony for 3 years until he could stand it no longer. What kind of justice is this? First time, non violent ,internet only offenders should get 1-5 years as punishment and IMMEDIATE COUNSELING. My son got ZERO counseling in the almost 3 years of his incarceration. It’s as if the SYSTEM said: “We don’t care about you — we’re going to show the PUBLIC that we are TOUGH on crime.

Further proof of my son’s very wrong sentence was that, on appeal (which was lost) one of the three-judge panel wrote a 4 page “decent” wondering why “Schmidt, a first time, non-hands on, internet only, with no previous record, was sorry, cooperated, why he would get such a harsh sentence.”

Again, THE HARSH, “TO PLEASE THE PUBLIC”, PUNITIVE, SYSTEM, KILLED MY MENTALLY DEFICIENT SON — not some crazy vengeful citizen.

George Schmidt