New cottage industry developing — cashing in on sex offender registration

image_pdfimage_print

By Sandy . . . In 2015, a post was published on an advocacy blog detailing the many ways that various entities benefited from what the bloggist calls the sex offender industry. Those who benefited financially lead the list.

Wyoming, in need of funds to support its registry, has cleverly found a way to add to the list of those benefiting. All those newly registering on the Wyoming sex offender registry will have to pay a $150 fee for the privilege. This will also apply to visiting registrants from out of state who enter Wyoming and stay three business days. And then, when they are ready to leave, they must pay an additional fee, $31.25, to de-register.

Additionally, all registrants within the state must pay a $31.25 fee every time they report any change in status, such as a change of address, of employment, a new vehicle, or the addition of a tattoo.

According to the Jackson Hole, Wyoming, News, “A grant from the U.S. Department of Justice that supports Wyoming’s sex offender registry is dwindling. The new fees will replace the grant funding.”

The fee is split, with 75% going to the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation and the other 25% to the local authority.

An offender failing to pay the registration fee he can be charged with a misdemeanor punishable by up to $750 in fines and six months in jail. A failure to report changes within three days is charged as a felony and punishable by up to $1,000 and five years in prison.

A provision is made for a wavier of the fees when a registrant is indigent. He must make application and complete a form proving his indigency, which must then be approved by the state.

Law enforcement in Jackson Hole fears that this financial burden will prevent some visiting registered citizens from registering in Wyoming.

In light of the recent ruling handed down in Pennsylvania, where certain portions of that state’s registration requirements were deemed to have crossed the line from regulatory into punishment, we can only hope that civil rights attorneys in Wyoming are watching this latest attempt to continue heaping consequence after consequence on the backs of a group of citizens who are already marginalized and vilified.

 

 

image_pdfimage_print
Help us reach more people by Sharing or Liking this post.

Leave a Comment

We welcome a lively discussion with all view points - keeping in mind...

  • Your submission will be reviewed by one of our volunteer moderators. Moderating decisions may be subjective.
  • Please keep the tone and language of your comment civil and courteous. This is a public forum.
  • Please stay on topic - both in terms of the organization in general and this post in particular.
  • Refrain from general political statements in (dis)favor of one of the major parties or their representatives.
  • Refrain from comments containing references to religion unless it clearly relates to the post being commented on.
  • Do not post in all caps.
  • We will generally not allow links; the moderator may consider the value of a link.
  • We will not post lengthy comments.
  • Please don not go into details about your story; post these on our Tales from the Registry.
  • Please choose a user name that does not contain links to other web sites.
  • Please do not solicit funds.
  • If you use any abbreviation such as Failure To Register (FTR), the first time you use it please expand it for new people to better understand.
  • All commenters are required to provide a real email address where we can contact them. It will not be displayed on the site.